I am often asked which social community I prefer for video marketing campaigns: YouTube or Vimeo. I decided to write a blog post comparing the benefits and drawbacks of both video content delivery networks. Both video content providers have been revising their user interface a lot lately in an attempt to improve their service.
I have to admit that if I had to pick one or the other, I would pick Vimeo PRO for $60 a year.
One of the main reasons I love Vimeo PRO is that it serves as a cloud backup for our master digital video files. Over the past two years, several clients have been asking about cloud backup for their digital video files. Then one day it occurred to me that our digital video files uploaded to Vimeo are true cloud back up (all of which have download capability if the administrator elects to turn on this feature). I thought, duh … Vimeo PRO.
Here is a list of pros and cons for your consideration. Bottom line: you really need both of them. In fact, soon you will also need Apple’s network because they decided not to renew the YouTube app and instead develop their own video content delivery network.
You may have heard that iPhone users won’t see the YouTube app on their i instruments (iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices)and will have to go to the YouTube website from the Safari browser. Apple won’t be including the app in iOS 6, as its licensing deal with YouTube is now ending.
YouTube is now owned by Google, of course, and this could be Apple’s latest move to reduce the presence of its rival on their i instruments.
To close, I’ll list some of the main features of both video content providers.
Vimeo PRO account
- Up to 5 GB upload space per file
- File size does not matter – 20 minute 1081i HD file is 3 GB
- You can elect thumbnail image from anywhere in the video – nice feature
- Better quality video
- No limit on length of digital video
- Cloud backup of video, any length
- No music restrictions
- More professionally produced video
- More player embed options with PRO account, like removal of Vimeo logo
- Turn file on and off for downloading
- Vimeo is said to be strict about not uploading personal video content
- Second largest search engine in the world
- Google-owned company so it’s excellent for SEO
- More exposure
- 2 GB digital video file limit
- Higher compression so video plays back faster
- More community, more followers, more social media promotion
- Video play-lists
- Media ads yield passive monthly income – monetize your videos for passive income
- Easier to find similar content because of additional video suggestions at end of video playback
- Copyright very protective and licensing necessary for all music used
- Limited thumbnail options for video display
- 15 minute video length